CBD Oil vs. Hemp Oil
Are hemp oil and CBD oil the same product? If you are new to the CBD community, you might be confused by the different names and terms that are used interchangeably. The truth is that not all oils are created equal, even when they are technically derived from the same plant.
We are here to put an end to the debate over CBD oil vs. hemp oil and explain the subtle, as well as not so subtle, differences between these products. Once you get a basic understanding of which product serves which purpose, you will be better equipped to choose between them.
What Is CBD Oil?
Technically, CBD oil is made from hemp. However, the composition of the final product depends on what was used during the manufacturing process. So, CBD oil is made only from those parts of the plant, where cannabidiol is found – leaves, flowers, and stalks.
Hemp-derived CBD oil is called so because it contains concentrations of cannabidiol that are shown to exhibit a wide variety of health benefits. The source ingredients are specifically cultivated to be high in CBD. Additionally, the extraction methods help keep the maximum amount of CBD in the final product – it can be either supercritical CO2 or high-proof alcohol.
CBD oil can be consumed in many different forms. The most widely used method of consumption is liquid CBD, specifically, sublingual use. All you need to do is place the required number of drops under your tongue and hold it down for about 30-60 seconds. The oil gets absorbed by the mucous gland located there and then gets into your bloodstream.
Other common consumption methods include capsules, vaping liquids, edibles, pre-rolls, and topicals. You can choose what fits your lifestyle and preferences more and get similar results with any type of CBD (with slight variations).
What Is Hemp Oil?
What is hemp oil and why is it not the same as hemp-derived CBD oil? The definition of hemp oil depends on whether it is used as a substitute word for CBD oil or hemp seed oil. Most often, hemp oil refers to oils that are made from only seeds, void of any cannabinoids.
Unlike CBD oil, hemp oil is extracted using a method called cold-pressing. The process is similar to obtaining olive oil and involves using a mechanical press to separate the oil from the seeds.
Hemp essential oil contains many valuable nutrients you can use for enriching your diet. However, it is mostly seen as a dietary supplement as opposed to a health supplement. This product can be incorporated into many foods and beverages for increased nutritional value. If you’re looking for other ways, you can add hemp oil to a topical base (shampoos, body lotions, lipsticks, balms, heating rubs, and hand creams), although it is rather uncommon.
Does All Hemp Oil Contain CBD?
Is hemp oil a CBD product? Even though hemp oil has great nutritional value, it usually lacks any substantial levels of cannabinoids to be useful as a source of CBD. You can say hemp oil with CBD exists, but the concentration of CBD will not be strong enough to make a difference. You will be better off with a product specifically marked as CBD oil.
When manufacturers produce CBD products, they are aiming for concentrations like 150,000-ppm CBD (parts per million). For comparison, hemp oil contains less than 25 ppm. If you can find hemp oil with high CBD, you are in luck since it rarely happens. Some sellers offer CBD-rich hemp oil so that consumers can get the best of both worlds. You will need to check the label to confirm that.
CBD Oil vs. Hemp Oil: Benefits and Uses
Now, it’s time to get deeper into the differences between CBD oil and hemp oil and how they affect your body. The most important thing to keep in mind about CBD and hemp oil benefits is that the first has a therapeutic effect when used medicinally, whereas the other mostly targets your dietary issues. Plus, let’s look at what uses each product can offer.
Health Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD oil is a highly sought after product for its extensive health benefits. The full-spectrum varieties formulated for the maximum benefit because of all other terpenes and cannabinoids. For those sensitive to THC, there are isolates that also have a great effect on your body.
There are potential health benefits that apply to CBD products regardless of their type:
- Pain and inflammation – Many people are already using CBD oil for pain, and there are many studies to confirm these results. For example, in one particular study, CBD showed its ability to reduce stiffness, pain, and swelling for patients with rheumatoid arthritis, which is a chronic inflammatory disease. CBD can also work for migraines, chronic pain, and cancer-related pain.
- Anxiety and depression – CBD oil shows promise in the treatment of conditions like generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. A survey described in the same study also highlighted that the majority of cannabidiol users take it for anxiety or depression.
- Insomnia – The CBD’s ability to regulate sleeping patterns has also been researched several times. Researchers shared that CBD may have therapeutic potential for the treatment of insomnia due to their modulatory effects on serotonin. Besides, since CBD can help you manage pain and mental disorders, you will naturally sleep better.
- Neurological disorders – Researchers believe that CBD might have neuroprotective properties. The reason is CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system and other brain signaling systems, which regulate our bodies’ neurological responses.
- Substance abuse – CBD has been shown to modify circuits in the brain related to drug addiction, as shown by animal models during research. Particularly, it was shown to reduce morphine dependence and heroin-seeking behavior. Also, they concluded that CBD could be beneficial for cannabis and tobacco addiction in humans.
If you struggle with the conditions listed above, consult with a doctor and start your CBD treatment. At Green Papas, you will find high-quality CBD products that will impress you with their potency and efficiency. With such a lengthy experience in this industry, we know how to produce a truly wonderful product.
Health Benefits of Hemp Oil
Hemp oil also shows promise in enhancing one’s health but in a different way. Organic hemp oil is even called a superfood due to its impressive nutritional power.
What does hemp oil do? Below are several examples of its beneficial properties:
- Nutrition – Hemp seeds are rich in essential fatty acids like linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3). They can improve insulin sensitivity and blood pressure, thus, preventing and treating diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
- Skin disorders – Research shows that hemp seeds can make a positive difference for patients battling with eczema. Specifically, the qualities of both skin dryness and improved itchiness, and dermal medication usage decreased after hempseed oil intervention.
- Menopause and PMS – Hemp is a good source of GLA (gamma-linoleic acid), which has been shown to decrease the inflammation that can occur with menopause. Also, it can reduce the effect of the hormone prolactin in the body, which is one of the symptoms of PMS.
Hemp seeds are also an excellent source of protein and offer vitamin E and other health-enhancing minerals, such as phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, and zinc.
The Problem with the Mix-Up CTA
Since, both CBD oil and hemp oil are essentially wellness ingredients, there is no harm in using one product instead of the other. However, it will be an issue if you are taking CBD oil to manage a medical condition. The maximum benefits of CBD oil can never be achieved with a product that is not labeled as such.
There are shady companies that are trying to exploit people’s ignorance when it comes to hemp oil vs. CBD oil. CBD oil does not come cheap, and, unfortunately, some brands advertise hemp oil as a CBD product, trying to cash in on the popularity of CBD. These deceptive practices can become a problem for people who rely on the therapeutic benefits of CBD. Hemp oil and CBD are two totally different compounds that come from different parts of the plant, have different makeups, and different effects. Therefore, CBD users will not be able to manage their medical conditions with hemp oil.
The good news is that if you choose Green Papas, you will have an issue with high prices. We use high-quality materials sourced sustainably in the USA, but we still manage to keep our prices within a reasonable range. It’s important for us to ensure that any customer can comfortably afford our CBD products and feel better.
Are CBD and Hemp Extract Products Safe?
Cannabis and hemp products still hold an association with THC, which makes some people question whether they should consume them. Does hemp oil get you high? The answer is a resounding no. The World Health Organization assures the general public that it does not show signs of intoxication or psychotic symptoms. Whether you use CBD oil or hemp oil, you will never feel “out of it”.
There are ongoing, as well as big reputable studies on CBD and hemp oil side effects. So far, the research shows predominantly positive results and indicates little to no possibilities of experiencing side effects from CBD use.
With this information in mind, you still need to do your research and buy legally-sanctioned products in order to enjoy the full potential of CBD. Plus, CBD is very beneficial for your health, but it is not a cure-all. If you are dealing with a severe condition or taking prescribed medication, you need to speak to a professional before starting CBD.
What to Look for When CBD Shopping
The quickest and most effective way to determine if a product is CBD oil or hemp oil, is to look at the ingredients listed on the label. When you look at the packaging, you should see “CBD oil” or find ingredients like “cannabidiol” or “CBD.”
If the package says something like “hemp oil” “hemp seed oil,” “cannabis seed oil” or “cannabis sativa seed oil,” then it’s a product with little to no CBD. There could be some other marketing traps, so make sure to study the label thoroughly, including the information listed at the bottom in less opaque colors.
If you don’t want to fall victim of advertising tactics, here is a short list of what you should be on the lookout for:
- Ingredients list verified by a third party
- Nutritional facts
- Extraction methods
- Other products listed on the website
- Company reputation
- Online reviews
If you still have some questions, contact the store and ask questions before buying. If the company has nothing to hide, they will gladly provide any information you need. This savviness will help the wellness industry continue to separate reliable vendors from others – a win-win for both customers and brands.
The Bottom Line on Hemp Oil and CBD Oil Differences
At the end of the day, there is no reason to have a “hemp vs. CBD oil” argument. These products are not mutually exclusive and serve different purposes. You can get nutritional benefits of hemp seeds, go for hemp oil (or even hemp oil with CBD).
But if you want to reap the health benefits of cannabidiol, high-quality CBD oil is what you need. It can make a noticeable difference in your overall health and wellness. Unlike hard-acting medications, it doesn’t disrupt the natural processes inside your body.
Green Papas is a CBD brand trusted by thousands of loyal customers. We don’t hide behind shallow slogans and can prove our claims with facts and laboratory testing results. Our consultants are always at your service whenever you need it. With us, you will always end up with the right product for your needs.