Reasons to Take CBD For High Blood Pressure
CBD and blood pressure are a big topic of conversation these days. According to the CDC report, nearly half of adults in the United States (108 million, or 45%) suffer from hypertension, which is high blood pressure. This number is especially high for adults in their mid-60 and above.
The American Heart Association explains that hypertension is a “silent killer”. Untreated hypertension increases the risk of heart disease and stroke and even leads to an increased risk of blindness and dementia. So, it is something you should check regularly and treat as soon as you find out you have this condition.
Pharmaceuticals offer different solutions, but there are many arguments that support the use of natural remedies as a supplementary treatment. This article will explain how CBD lowers blood pressure and the science behind it.
Why People Are Taking CBD for High Blood Pressure
Cannabidiol, or CBD, helps your body regulate high blood pressure in many ways. CBD affects several functions, which has an overall positive impact on your health.
Does CBD lower blood pressure? The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known, but several things may play a role, including stress, anxiety, inflammation, lack of sleep, and fatigue. CBD can effectively tackle all of these issues.
CBD’s Anti-Anxiety Effects
Research shows that high blood pressure can sometimes be caused (or worsened) by anxiety and insomnia. This means that by mitigating these symptoms, you can keep your blood pressure under control more effectively. Here is what we know about CBD for blood pressure:
- In a 2019 study published in The Permanente Journal, researchers found that CBD has a calming effect on the central nervous system. By the end of the study, anxiety scores decreased, and sleep scores improved within the first month for the majority of patients.
- Another 2019 study for the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, found that 91% of patients experienced a decrease in PTSD symptom severity with no side effects.
- The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine published a 2018 study that concluded that the relaxation response demonstrated the ability to reduce blood pressure.
CBD’s Anti-Inflammatory Effects
You can also use CBD for blood pressure as it reduces inflammation. There have been a couple of studies focusing on CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties:
- Researchers from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine found that CBS can upregulate T-regulatory cells as a mechanism to suppress inflammatory responses. Since inflammatory disorders are one of the causes of high blood pressure and vice versa, this explains the beneficial effect of CBD oil on blood pressure.
- Another study found that CBD has multiple desirable effects on the cardiovascular system, including the attenuating proinflammatory changes in coronary artery cells.
If you want to learn more about the benefits of CBD, visit Green Papas blog or consult with our specialists. We will give you a thorough explanation of how it works and what kind of product you need for the best results.
CBD as a Vasodilator
CBD is considered a natural vasodilator, which means it widens the blood vessels ensuring smooth blood flow. The same crossover study by the American Society for Clinical Investigation did an experiment using the cold pressor test. While blood pressure continued to rise in the placebo group, it plateaued in volunteers who had taken CBD.
Authors note that more research is needed to conclusively claim that you can use CBD for high blood pressure. However, existing findings reveal that CBD affects cardiovascular parameters positively both under stress and at rest.
CBD vs. Cortisol Secretion
When talking about the CBD effects on blood pressure, we should also mention its link to cortisol, the “stress hormone”. Cortisol leads to an increase in your heart rate and blood pressure, which is our bodies’ protective “flight or fight” response.
An earlier study, looking at the effects of CBD on hormone secretion, made an interesting suggestion. Results from the study showed that CBD has the ability to interfere with cortisol secretion. As a result, you prevent the damaging consequences of elevated stress.
CBD and The Dynamics of Blood Flow
In a 2017 systematic review and meta-analysis published in the Frontiers in Pharmacology Journal, researchers studied how animal subjects react to CBD in stressful conditions. It turned out that acute CBD administration significantly reduced the increase in blood pressure and heart rate induced by stress.
Thus, they noticed that CBD oil regulates high blood pressure through its hemodynamic (blood flow) effects. It should be mentioned that non-stressful conditions did not produce the same impressive results.
CBD’s Interaction with Neurotransmitters
Let’s see another point of view on CBD oil and high blood pressure. This time, researchers looked at neurometabolic balance:
- A 2017 study focused on the relevance of endocannabinoid function for stroke prevention. The results were published in the Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research Journal, which showed that CBD could play a role in cerebrovascular neurology. By reacting with a neurotransmitter, such as anandamide, it can be an important help in regulating the functioning of the heart.
- The British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology published a study that CBD has therapeutic potential in neuroprotection. It provided neuroprotection in a manner that included the preservation of cerebral circulation.
The authors of the paper also reviewed the potential therapeutic uses of CBD in cardiovascular diseases, including cardioprotection, stroke, arrhythmias, and atherosclerosis.
The Pros and Cons of CBD Oil for High Blood Pressure
Before starting any treatment, you need to do thorough research. If you are thinking about taking CBD for your condition, here are some arguments about why it’s a good idea:
- Many studies indicate the ability of CBD to lower blood pressure. It also can help you manage hypertension-related symptoms and keep your general wellbeing in check.
- The World Health Organization confirms that CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile. Adverse effects are normally the result of drug interactions.
- It is suitable for long-term use. There are no reports or studies suggesting side effects after using CBD for an extended period of time. Also, it is non-addictive.
- CBD is non-psychoactive. CBD is often confused with similar cannabinoids, but this compound cannot get users high.
- It is fully legal in all 50 states.
It’s important to realize that CBD comes with some degree of risk as do all other medical treatments and supplements. The same rule applies to CBD oil and blood pressure. Here are some common considerations:
- Studies on CBD are still limited, and most of them were conducted on either healthy volunteers or animals.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is yet to approve it as a medication.
- When consumers take large doses, they might feel drowsy, experience “cottonmouth”, or experience changes in appetite.
Understanding High Blood Pressure
Let’s look at the biological mechanisms in our bodies to understand how CBD and high blood pressure interact fully. Blood pressure is determined by how much blood is pushing against the sides of your blood vessels. If you have high blood pressure, it puts too much strain on these vessels and your heart.
When someone measures your blood pressure, there are two numbers in the reading. According to the American Heart Association, hypertension is diagnosed if it shows 130/80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and higher for all adults. To learn specifics for different age groups, check the AHA official guidelines.
What makes this condition such a serious issue is that people don’t normally exhibit clear symptoms. Some indications include shortness of breath, headaches, or nosebleeds. However, these symptoms don’t affect everyone, so it’s better always to keep your health in check.
Traditional Medications for High Blood Pressure vs. CBD
Let’s compare CBD and blood pressure medication based on their side effects. While traditional medicines are proven to be effective in treating high blood pressure, it also sometimes leads to unwanted results. The most common reason for this occurrence is that these medications are made from foreign synthetic chemicals.
Different classes of blood pressure medications have different side effects:
- Diuretics – Affect muscular function, lead to weakness, dehydration, and skin reactions
- Beta-blockers – Affect the respiratory system
- ACE inhibitors – May result in hypotension leading to fainting and reduced kidney function.
Bear in mind that these drugs are tried and tested in clinical studies, so their efficacy against heart conditions is proven. However, just based on the side effects alone, CBD takes the lead. There are significant findings about CBD’s favorable safety profile.
Now, the main concern is, “Can CBD lower blood pressure as effectively as pharmaceutical medication?” This question should be addressed to your individual healthcare provider since they know your medical history better than anyone. Perhaps in your case, CBD can be strong enough, and you won’t need any other treatment.
When you receive professional advice, head over to the Green Papas online store. We will help you decide which form of CBD will suit your preferences and lifestyle. Feel free to check out our range of full-spectrum and isolate CBD products. All prices are kept affordable so you will be pleasantly surprised.
What You Should Know About Using CBD
Early studies that we described above shed an optimistic light on the potential of CBD oil for high blood pressure. However, at this point, it is not ready to fully substitute conventional treatments.
Also, you should remember that lowering blood pressure is not necessarily a good thing for everyone. Individuals who already have low blood pressure or take blood-thinning medication should be aware of the consequences. If you have these issues, you should consult with a health specialist as to whether you should start taking CBD.
Additionally, you should check the list of CBD drug interactions. Your healthcare provider should also guide you through this process. Just like any medical interferences, you should approach CBD consumption responsibly.
If you decide to take CBD oil and blood pressure medication, you can complement these measures with lifestyle changes:
- Eat a healthy diet that is low in fat, cholesterol, and salt
- Maintain daily activity to strengthen your heart
- Reduce your stress as much as possible
- Refrain from alcohol and tobacco
How to Take CBD for High Blood Pressure
You might have already noticed that there are numerous CBD products available on the market. When it comes to consuming CBD oil for blood pressure, there are several main methods:
- CBD oil tinctures or drops – Sublingual CBD is the most common method among users, especially those who suffer from high blood pressure. Place it under your tongue for at least 60 seconds, and the onset of effects should be felt in about half an hour. CBD slowly builds up in your system and works more effectively.
- CBD oil capsules and edibles – This is another popular method because the effects last for the entire day. It might take some time before CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream, but if you take it consistently, it can make a big difference.
- CBD lotions – This type of CBD is usually taken for problems other than high blood pressure. It is mostly suited for those who struggle with pain, inflammation, and skin conditions.
- CBD oil vapes and pre-rolled joints – Inhaling CBD is typically the fastest way to get it into your system. The effects are felt within minutes and last for 30 minutes to an hour or two. Calculate the amount of CBD per inhale and start slowly.
Hopefully, we’ve answered the question of “Can CBD oil lower blood pressure?”. Current research suggests that it is linked to improvements with high blood pressure and associated conditions like stress and pain.
Along with taking CBD for high blood pressure, you should consider making lifestyle changes to improve your health and strengthen your heart. Just in case, ask your doctor to recommend the optimal dosage because it may affect you differently.
Once you get that covered, you can choose from a wide variety of products presented at the Green Papas store. Our products are made with the best ingredients, which can help you maintain your general wellbeing. Buy your first CBD product or repurchase your favorite one and start living a better quality of life.