CBD and Coffee: Is It a Good Idea?
CBD coffee has recently become a topic of conversation. Should you combine coffee and CBD, or should you leave these two things as they are?
According to many people’s stories, CBD with caffeine was meant for each other. In addition to receiving the normal effects of CBD oil, you also avoid the jittery feeling from consuming caffeine. Avid coffee drinkers are likely to enjoy the long list of benefits: reduction in anxiety and nausea, a focused burst of energy, and an overall delicious drink.
What is CBD coffee, and how do you make one? Let’s get into details.
CBD Effect vs. Caffeine Effect
When you combine CBD and caffeine, you need to be aware of how they affect your body separately. And then, it’s really important to examine your body’s response to their combination. Does CBD coffee actually combine the best of both worlds?
How Caffeine Affects Your Body
A survey revealed that 64% of Americans age 18 or over had a cup of coffee the previous day. The main goal of coffee drinkers is to reach a state of wakefulness and alertness. This noticeable effect is caused by caffeine stimulating the central nervous system.
Unfortunately, it has adverse effects, especially in people predisposed to anxiety and stress disorders. Coffee is known to induce elevated heart rate and blood pressure leading to a jittery feeling, anxiety, and even panic attacks. Some people also experience headaches and nausea if they consume too much of it. Lastly, when the effects wear off, it can cause uneasiness and fatigue.
How CBD Affects Your Body
CBD oil, or cannabidiol, is derived from the hemp plant and used predominantly for therapeutic purposes. Hemps contains hundreds of phytocannabinoids along with CBD, although CBD remains on the most studied compounds.
CBD’s interaction with the body’s endocannabinoids helps it target the neurological and central nervous systems and make a positive impact. There are multiple potential uses for CBD in treating mental and neurological conditions. Pre-clinical research has shown CBD to be therapeutically useful due to anti-seizure, antioxidant, neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-tumor, anti-psychotic, and anti-anxiety properties.
CBD has been shown to reduce anxiety in patients with social anxiety related to being exposed to a stressful public speaking task. Also, in a study designed to model post-traumatic stress disorders, CBD helps the participants forget traumatic memories. It has been effective against central and peripheral neuropathic pain, rheumatoid arthritis, and even cancer pain.
Unlike THC, which is another component of the cannabis plant, CBD does not have psychoactive properties. Therefore, CBD oil in coffee will not make you feel high.
If you want to be better informed on CBD, Green Papas consultants in NY will help you understand how it works and recommend the best products for your condition. We want all of our clients to be able to benefit from the healing effects of CBD, which is why we keep our prices on the affordable side.
Combining the Effects
It turns out, caffeine and CBD complete each other’s effects in a very interesting way. A study published in The Journal of Internal Medicine showed that the two substances impact similar pathways in the brain. On a molecular level, caffeine works similarly to the therapeutic agent adenosine but with drastically different effects. By inhibiting adenosine, caffeine becomes responsible for the ‘alerting’ effect. At the same time, CBD partially activates the same receptors to produce even more stimulation.
It has been concluded that the double impact leads to more long-term stimulation, combined with calmness with reduced anxiety. It should be noted that these positive effects directly correlate to how much CBD and coffee you are consuming.
Additionally, caffeine is broken down by the enzyme, which CBD can inhibit. Meaning, CBD can slow down the process of caffeine metabolism. Subsequently, it leads to a prolonged caffeine effect. Depending on how you react to coffee, it can be either something you want or need to avoid.
If you are thinking of getting yourself a batch of CBD coffee pods, remember that it can go either way. On the one hand, you can extend the effects of your morning cup of coffee. On the other hand, you can lose some sleep if you drink it too late in the day.
How to Make CBD Coffee
Getting a hold of CBD coffee beans is a rather difficult venture. However, rather than scanning the entire Internet searching for them, you can make a replacement, arguably even better. Learning how to infuse coffee beans with CBD is a matter of preference. You can try the following two recipes and see whether they give you the relaxation and enjoyment you seek.
CBD Bulletproof Coffee
It is common knowledge that CBD pairs well with fats, which is why many CBD-based products contain coconut oil. This CBD coffee recipe incorporates the best ingredients for a filling, satisfying drink. Here is how to make CBD coffee with healthy fats.
- 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee – if you have a French press, that would be the perfect method, since you get the richest flavor. Also, the soothing ritual of using a French press adds to the effect you want to receive from CBD.
- 1 tsp. of coconut oil – optionally, you can use MCT oil as a substitute.
- The normal dose of your favorite CBD oil – the recipe works well with about 15 drops.
If you feel extra fancy, try adding CBD coffee creamer. However, if you combine two CBD products, make sure you calculate the dose correctly. Although it will not harm your health, it can make you uncomfortably lethargic.
- Make some coffee using your preferred brewing method. There should be no difference in terms of how CBD will work on your body.
- Pour exactly one cup of coffee into a blender, leaving some room for foaming. Make sure the container is suitable for hot liquids. If not, leave the coffee to cool but keep it slightly warm.
- Add coconut or MCT oil into the blender. If you’ve decided to have creamer, spices, sweeteners, or something along these lines, add them into the mix at this stage.
- Keep blending for 25-30 seconds – there is no need to do it longer.
- Pour it into a cup or glass and sprinkle some cinnamon on top or whatever your heart desires. You’re good to go!
CBD Peppermint Chocolate Espresso
If you want to experiment with rich flavors in your CBD oil coffee, you can try this delicious CBD-infused espresso drink. Those who you like explosive and hard-hitting flavors will enjoy it. It will impress even your resident coffee snob!
- Espresso or any other type of brewed black coffee
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened drinking chocolate
- 1/2 tsp. of a sweetener of your choice
- 1/4–1/2 cup of creamer
- The appropriate number of drops of your CBD oil – we recommend this full-spectrum CBD oil in mint flavor.
Green Papas NYC makes sure the flavors come through beautifully, without dominating the coffee flavor. And since the oil contains a wide range of cannabinoids, you will achieve the full entourage effect.
- Make a double shot of espresso. Alternatively, you can use an equal amount of strong black coffee.
- Combine chocolate and sweetener in a cup and add your CBD tincture directly into the mix.
- Add the coffee while it is still hot.
- Heat the creamer in whatever way you prefer – in a microwave, on the stove, or with a steam frother.
- Combine the creamer with other liquids and use the frother for a nice finish.
For a nice milky finish, reserve some hot creamer and pour it over the top, when the rest of the ingredients are combined. Feel free to make small changes to make the drink as enjoyable as possible.
What Experts Say About CBD and Caffeine
A reporter from Well+Good gathered what the industry experts think about CBD oil and coffee. She confirmed that the combination of these two substances is a “make it or break it” deal. People have shared that drinking too much coffee with CBD can make the caffeine kick in more strongly. On the flip side, they encountered equally passionate accounts but on the positive effects. For example, CBD with caffeine has been described to cause nice, alert, focused energy without any of the jitters.
Additionally, in an interview with the medical director of the diagnosis clinic, Canna-Centers, the expert discussed the uncertainty of reactions to CBD and coffee. With a low dosage, CBD stimulates the body, and with higher dosages, it can cause sedation. It is hard to determine where in the spectrum, the person’s reaction will fall. She adds that, unfortunately, the interaction between CBD and coffee is not as simple as it seems.
The same interview highlighted the anecdotal evidence surrounding the topic. There is a growing community of CBD-infused coffee enthusiasts, who appreciate the elevated burst of energy it provides. If you are lucky enough to fall into this category, it should make you more productive and ready to conquer the day.
For more information, relevant research, and expert opinions on CBD, visit Green Papas blog. It will help you get a better understanding of how our products can benefit your health. Instead of just enduring the pain or discomfort, you can utilize an all-natural, yet effective remedies.
Pros and Cons of Adding CBD Oil to Coffee
Having CBD oil in coffee can be as simple as adding a few drops to your drink or as complicated as brewing your own CBD-infused coffee beans. In any case, with so many options for taking CBD, some will be for you, and some of them – will not.
Let’s go over the pros and cons to determine whether adding an extra step to your morning coffee is worth it.
- You can easily adjust the dose of CBD. It is no different than taking CBD oil sublingually.
- It doesn’t require a special technique to combine your normal coffee with CBD.
- Personal accounts are confirming the mutually beneficial effects of the two ingredients.
- If you normally drink coffee every day, it will be very easy to incorporate CBD into an already existing routine.
- There are many flavors on the market to accommodate every taste.
- There is no harm in trying out putting CBD oil in coffee. If you don’t like it, you can take the oil on its own or get creative with it.
- Oils do not work well with water. So, you will either have to do a thorough job mixing it or you will have to drink it rather quickly.
- CBD oil might undermine or completely change the flavor of your coffee. It depends on the quality and flavor of the oil.
- Mixing CBD oil and caffeine will take some experimentation to get it right.
Another major consideration should not be overlooked since it directly impacts the effects of CBD and heat. Can you put CBD oil in the coffee if it’s hot? Studies published on the intensity of CBD degradation in various circumstances have shown that heat exposure affects the quality of CBD. The exact results of the process are not fully described, but it’s assumed that CBD tends to lose its potency. Therefore, the hard work you do in determining the correct dose will not be admissible in this case.
To mitigate this drawback, try adding CBD to either iced or slightly cooled down coffee. Reduced potency is still safe, but you will simply go through the product quicker and have to repurchase it sooner.
Before You Mix CBD Oil with Caffeine
Generally, CBD does not have strong negative side effects. However, you should always be mindful of mixing it with other ingredients. If you don’t normally have a high tolerance for coffee, coffee with CBD might make matters worse. Therefore, combine these substances as long as your body reacts well to them separately.
Before you take on the role of baristas and start making CBD coffee, check the quality of the oil you’re using. As long as you have great oil, you should have no trouble with CBD-infused coffee. Green Papas is known for the impeccable quality of our products, which are made from organic, all-natural ingredients. Visit our online store or our locations in New York to begin your journey to wellness. Fighting stress, pain, and anxiety has become infinitely easier with CBD!