CBD Oil for Kids: What Parents Need to Know
The evidence for the efficacy and effectiveness of CBD is growing every year, and it is becoming more popular as a complementary therapy for many health conditions. The prospects of using CBD oil for kids are incredibly exciting for many people. One in 40 children in the US has been diagnosed with autism, according to a national survey by the American Academy of Pediatrics, so using CBD oil can make a big difference.
Could CBD become the next big thing for treating symptoms related to the autism spectrum disorder (ASD)? Before you can decide whether using CBD oil for kids with autism is suitable for you, you need to understand all sides of the argument. In this article, we’ll talk about scientific research on CBD, discuss its safety for kids, and provide tips to help you pick the right product.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Child Autism
CBD’s therapeutic potential, coupled with an unmatched safety profile, drives more and more people to use it for their health conditions. And the topic of CBD oil and autism is getting more and more recognition. In recent years, there have been many first-hand accounts reporting the overwhelmingly positive experiences with CBD oil and kids.
A survey conducted by Remedy Review found that a large percentage of parents of children with ASD have used CBD to manage their symptoms (over a third of respondents). And even though using CBD oil for autism will not alleviate this particular condition, it can manage other disorders that afflict people with ASD. For example, here are some of the effects of CBD oil on autism-related issues:
- CBD fixes the disruption of endocannabinoid signaling in the brain, which is common in children with the autism spectrum disorder.
- It reduces aggressive behaviors by providing better sleep and lower anxiety. These benefits are helpful for children that can quickly find themselves exhausted and overwhelmed by different activities.
- By helping children tackle insomnia or, on the opposite end, excessive sleeplessness, CBD helps bring order into a child’s life. There is particular importance placed on routes and rituals for autistic children, and healthy sleeping patterns ensure a less chaotic feeling throughout the day.
- CBD reduces the damaging effects of stress by making you feel calmer. It helps children improve their social communication skills and make social interactions more manageable.
Battling any health condition is not easy for children, as well as adults, especially those that are not easily cured. If you want to feel more relaxed or improve your child’s quality of life, try potent and affordable CBD by Green Papas. Contact us to receive a confirmation and find a product that suits your individual needs.
Using CBD Oil for Epilepsy in Autism
About 1% of Americans have some form of epilepsy, and about 4% will develop epilepsy at some point in their lives. However, this number goes way higher for children with autism. Epilepsy develops in about 20% to 33% of autistic individuals. So, there is an even bigger significance of anticonvulsant CBD oil benefits for kids diagnosed with ASD.
Studies show that CBD exhibits a defined anticonvulsant profile for those who are resistant to all conventional anti-epileptic drugs. It has been found to reduce the frequency of convulsive seizures in people with Dravet Syndrome, and the rate of drop seizures in patients with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome. Other studies produced other essential insights into CBD oil and child seizures:
- There was a 50% reduction in epileptics compared to anti-epileptic drugs after several weeks in a placebo-controlled trial.
- A clinical trial showed an improvement in the illness in all dosages. Also, it registered that CBD has a dose-dependency, meaning the effects become more pronounced if you increase the dosage.
- CBD was well-tolerated among different age groups, as shown by another trial (2 to 5 years, 6 to 12 years and 13 to 18 years).
On top of this, the FDA has even approved a CBD-based medication for treating seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome or Dravet Syndrome, in patients two years of age and older. Both conditions are considered very difficult to treat, which makes CBD use for autistic seizures an impressive step forward.
Autism and ADHD
Between 30 and 50% of individuals with ASD manifest ADHD symptoms, versus 6 to 7% of the general population. Much of the existing research surrounding ADHD and CBD is focused on cannabis oil, and some of it examines cannabis oil for children.
One study showed that cannabinoids cause some improvement in cognitive function, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. The evaluation was gathered based on IQ performance on standardized tests after repeated administration. However, results were inconclusive because participants didn’t follow instructions precisely.
That said, researchers from another study found preliminary evidence supporting the therapeutic properties of CBD and the assistance of ADHD management. The topic of cannabis oil dosage for children with autism and ADHD leaves some room for further research. But what is known at this point is that there are no cognitive impairments following the use of CBD for kids with ADHD in any dosage.
Anxiety and Depression in Autistic Kids
Children and adolescents diagnosed with ASD were found to be highly likely to develop anxiety and depression – 55% for at least one anxiety disorder and 42% for the overall anxiety disorder. Using CBD for autism-related anxiety and depression can be extremely beneficial. Here is what we know so far:
- A recent study concluded that CBD induces fast and sustained antidepressant-like effects. They compared 30 minute or 7-day CBD treatment to traditional medication and learned that not only does CBD produces similar results but it also has practically no side effects.
- Researchers found that CBD has a positive impact on serotonin levels, which is essential for people with depression. Adequate levels of serotonin are known to regulate one’s emotional stability and feelings of joy or happiness.
- Another study focused on anxiety, particularly how people would react to a simulation public speaking test after consuming CBD. The discomfort and alert levels were significantly reduced, and the subject performed better.
- Similarly, a report on the anxiolytic effects of CBD confirmed that relative to a placebo group, CBD is associated with significantly decreased subjective anxiety. The benefits of CBD oil for children, in this case, comes from its effects on activity in limbic and paralimbic brain areas.
Autism and Gastrointestinal (GI) Disorders
Children with autism experience gastrointestinal (GI) upsets more frequently than others – they are six-to-eight times more likely to report these kinds of issues. Experimental data shows that the endocannabinoid system represents a promising target for treating inflammatory bowel diseases. And since CBD interacts with the ECS system, it helps your body eliminate digestive issues. This assumption is also confirmed by preliminary clinical studies.
There is a positive correlation between the use of CBD oil and children’s gut health and digestion. A study showed that CBD could play a role in managing inflammation-induced irritation. In general, CBD is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. So, it’s not surprising that it can have a healing effect on intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses.
Autism and Feeding/Eating Issues
Children with ASD’s often struggle with food and sensory sensitivity, as shown by articles and empirical literature. The use of CBD oil for children with food sensitivities can be an enormous help for parents’ daily lives. The interaction of the ECS and CBD stimulates healthy appetite responses.
It should be mentioned that CBD does not make you hungrier but regulates eating behaviors by reducing nausea. One group of researchers found that CBD produces anti-emetic/anti-nausea even after acute administration, and another similar study confirmed that claim. So, if a child is particularly picky and has a strong aversion to some foods, CBD can make that food seem less revolting.
Autism and Disrupted Sleep
Researchers discovered that over half of children with autism – and potentially as many as four in five – have one or more chronic sleep issues. CBD has demonstrated efficacy in regulating sleep patterns, which means you can use CBD oil for kids struggling with a sleeping disorder.
A series of crossover studies concluded that high-doses of CBD can increase the duration of sleep. Interestingly, the results can stand on an equal footing with sleeping tablets like nitrazepam. CBD was also found to progressively reduce cortisol levels as you increase the dosage and produce a stronger sedative effect.
Is CBD Safe for Kids?
In 2017, the World Health Organization released a paper focusing on the evidence for CBD’s safety and effectiveness following its massive growth in popularity. They also specifically focused on the question, “Is CBD safe for kids?”
The paper states that CBD is generally well-tolerated among different ages and doses and has an optimal safety profile. They looked at CBD-based products with oils, supplements, gums, and high concentration extracts available online. The overall examination showed that the form of CBD does not change its safety data but rather the onset of its effects.
The WHO team also analyzed trials designed to assess the safety of CBD oil for children. They found no significant safety concerns even for study subjects as young as one-year-old. However, they pointed out that it should not be considered a full substitution for treatment. And, before taking CBD with a patient’s existing medications, they should consult with a doctor to prevent drug interactions.
The Current Medical Stance
A large percentage of studies have been conducted on adolescents. Their results showed great potential for using CBD to treat ASD-related issues. But since children on the autism spectrum are typically younger, it makes for a difficult comparison. So, in terms of CBD oil for child autism, every case should be considered independently depending on the age, the severity of the condition, and the intended effects.
“It makes a difficult comparison because not only is the treatment different, the age and reasons for it are different,” she explained. Now, how that applies to children on the autism spectrum who are typically younger and don’t have typical development to start with, that’s kind of the outstanding question.”
By all means, children with life-limiting or severely debilitating conditions, such as severely autistic children, should be receiving a traditional treatment plan. But many parents report noticeable improvements when using CBD oil for autism, or, to be more specific, for issues stemming from it. Parents just need to examine this topic thoroughly and act responsibly.
Tips for Choosing a CBD Product for Kids
With so many CBD products available on the market, you need to know how to pick the best one. It makes sense if you want to be extra cautious when you are buying CBD for children. Below are essential guidelines if you don’t know where to buy CBD oil for autism or any other health conditions:
- Read the label – There are recommended dosages of CBD oil, and children should be getting the correct amount. Pay attention to the concentration of CBD listed on the label.
- Research how it is produced and where the company sources its ingredients – At Green Papas, we only use American-grown hemp and sustainable manufacturing practices. Buy our natural oils containing no harmful additives to get the greatest benefits out of CBD.
- Look at third-party test results – We also send our products for laboratory testing to makes sure they contain the right concentration of CBD and have no pesticides and toxins. All results are available online.
There is a long way to go in terms of CBD oil, and autism research and future studies will reveal more exhaustive information about its actual benefits or side effects. However, even at this point, CBD seems to help many children, their parents and caregivers manage many autism-related disorders. Anecdotal evidence points toward CBD’s efficient use as a supplemental treatment on top of more traditional avenues.
Green Papas can help you handle many symptoms associated with autism and multiple other health conditions. Whether you are looking for CBD for children or yourself, our high-quality, fully organic oils can bring more comfort and calmness to whoever is using it. Check out our range and choose from a wide variety of CBD products for every taste.